Yesterday marks the first full week that EQUAL MEANS EQUAL has been at the lovely house in Suffolk, Virginia. It has been very busy with a great deal of work accomplished in a short period of time! Natalie, Jules and I have been the first wave of tenants here at EME house and it is coming together extremely well.
A few highlights include:
- Setting up the house with all your wonderful gifts from our Amazon Wishlist! Please keep them coming! xoxoxoxoxo
- Going to the Outlaw Festival and putting flyers and postcards on the cars in the parking lot, then heading in to hear Bonnie Raitt, Willy and Lukas Nelson and meet, talk to people at the festival about the ERA.
- Going to a 5K Run for Ovarian Cancer in Virginia Beach followed by a celebration at a Veteran’s Brewing Company talking about the ERA to runners, veterans and their loved ones.
- Doing an interview for Whitewall Magazine (coming out soon) about the importance of art in activism.
Someday by Natalie White 2019
- Found a great local caterer, Roy’s & Ricky’s, and have organized our first of our regular Sunday Dinner sat the EME House!
In this first Welcome Party Sunday September 22nd from 2-5 we will thank local volunteers and partners on the #iScream4Equality Campaign, including:
- Rode the van to Hampton Roads where we met with the lovely and gracious Dr. M Elgersman Lee, professor of American History at Hampton University and delivered the film Legalize Equality as well as other educational materials about the ERA for dissemination among their students. We look forward to continuing and broadening our relationship with Hampton University!
- Serendipitously, our iScream Van Driver, Jane Materna, introduced us to sorority sisters of Alpha Kappa Alpha who were enjoying some ice cream when we got back to the van and agreed to help us as we pull together our second EME House Sunday Dinner on September 29th for the Pan Hellenic Council representing the top 9 African American Sororities/Fraternities (the Divine 9).
- Met lots of local business owners and neighbors in Suffolk, Norfolk, Hampton Roads and Virginia Beach and invited them to come by the house and find out what EME is all about
Thanks to Chef Jules for cooking all week- amazing healthy meals!
Please book your stay today! Come have fun and help educate about the need to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment!
Love and thanks,
Kamala, Natalie, Jules and the EME Team